A picture painted.



       As my routine, I headed out for a quick ride in the evening around the lake near my place. It felt good to know all roads and places in town.My trail of thoughts about all the outings in a different city was suddenly interrupted when I heard somebody call out my name.I ignored it the first time,but quickly came the 2nd call-out .I parked father's heavily labelled Activa (tags like Senior Citizen, SEO & few artistic references) ,turned around,stared closely and lightly said " You bitch ". She chuckled & hugged me,my mind flooded with memories,Aashima was with me only in the 7th grade after which she left the school and relocated (2004).We had bonded really well in that one year, she was someone with strong and concrete opinions back then and probably the only friend who made cute crafty cards for me!Next, I met her accidentally in McDonald's (2008) when she was with her boyfriend,little embarrassed to talk to me.
          We parked near her gates and the catching up began. It seemed like nothing had changed,she was still strong-willed,independent and warm. After the usual briefing of each other's until now story,she was dissappointed to hear that I have shifted to Pune. I told her about my life outside home and eventually the discussion boiled down to that one trending topic-marriage/boys/settling down.She stared with surprise when she heard of my plans.She said she was dating the same guy from McDonald's and was in a great rush to get married. I couldn't believe her words.She blabbered abruptly " I cant keep him any longer at my place ,cant have him dependent on my father's money".
A year ago or so,he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (a rare disability,not sure if curable) his mother lives out of state and so she decided that he has a better chance of healing with her around him. I was dumbstruck. She said I have my own legal practice now and she needs to get married to him and move out asap;she cannot have her parents tied to his service anymore .He cant move around fast and is already stooping.
          I realized that life is harder for some,somebody who is just like me.A picture of struggle has been already painted for her.A picture she could paint the way she wishes to but can't ,a compassionate person that she is.I remember Ashima was a fun company back then,fun-loving but responsible; being the eldest kid. She continued "I can marry somebody with a great built but ...you just can't live with that decision" I finished her emotion. She looked blankly in space,a fun-loving ,perky girl was replaced by a weighed-down ,tired but this strong woman. I could not help but feel proud of my friend. I said 'So you are already the man in your marriage". She chuckled, I said goodbye & promised to see her again before I head back to Pune. She made me realize that how hopelessly incapable I am in most areas.I am not the worst daughter that my parents can ask for but I do argue over minor issues,make a face when they ask me the same questions repeatedly,I sometimes forget the fact that they both are fragile now,emotionally and physically vulnerable, I should obey more and seldom oppose their decisions as I am all that they have . Now I see my picture in the making too.



Comments

Popular Posts